10 Style Rules That Everyone Should Break with Kelly Hoppen
With over 40 yearsâ€™ experience at the forefront of the design industry, Kelly Hoppen is one of the most celebrated and sought after interior designers in the world. It was her relentless passion for design, at 16 Â½ years-old, which kick started her iconic career. Her first commission, to design a family friendâ€™s kitchen, has led to multiple awards and numerous publishers and businesses continuously seeking her unparalleled expertise.
Kellyâ€™s globally renowned and ever-evolving style is underpinned by a subtle coordinated fusion of East meets West; clean lines and neutral tones, blended with charming warmth and sumptuous opulence. She has put her stamp on the homes, yachts and jets of private clients all over the world and now focuses on commercial projects including hotels, bars, restaurants, offices, and tower blocks. With thousands of projects spanning the last four decades, Kellyâ€™s portfolio boasts a diverse selection of projects.
In the book, Interiors by yoo, Kelly Hoppen went over the 10 style rules that everyone should break, here they are:
1) â€œDonâ€™t overcrowd a room with large furniture.â€ Play with scale. In a large room, large-scale objects fill the space and make it feel more intimate. Even in small rooms a few oversized objects can trick the eye into believing itâ€™s bigger than it is.
2) â€œListen to your instincts.â€ Plan to the very last detail. Plans might sound boring but they are essential for avoiding costly mistakes. Consider everything from furnishings and lighting to the technology so every element can be brought together in harmony.
3) â€œKitchens need bright task lighting.â€ Every room needs a variety of lighting. Itâ€™s more pleasant to cook an evening meal in a relaxing atmosphere, Use a range of sculptural soft lights and candles to create mood and interesting shadows.
4) â€œLight colours create space.â€ Dark colours can create a dramatic atmosphere and, when teamed with contrasting fabric, a sense of indulgence.
5) â€œDisplay your favourite objects.â€ Choose the best, store the rest.
6) â€œUpgrade when you can.â€ Save for what you really want
7) â€œDonâ€™t fuss with detailing.â€ Use bands and buttons on cushions to freshen up the look of a room. They are an ideal way to unify contrasting colours and textures.
8) â€œWhite is the essential neutral.â€ The perfect neutral is taupe. Taupe loves white, natural lines, shades of stone, metal and dark stained wood
9) â€œA sofa should be an elegant statement.â€ A sofa also needs to be incredibly comfortable, fit your practical needs and enhance your room. Using L- or U-shaped seating configurations works well and can direct the eye to a focal point such as a fireplace.
10) â€œMirrors should be hung over fireplaces.â€ Use them with abandon. Mirrors, glass surfaces and objects that reflect light add depth to a room and allow a play of light.
Check out Kellyâ€™s iconic style at the worldâ€™s only â€˜yooâ€™ branded villas at yoo Villas â€“ Pune. Over here Kelly explored two distinct style palettes, a warm sea breeze and a classy dark vintage style.